This is going to be my last post for sometime. Where to begin. Well, there is nothing nefarious going on at all, just so much life happening. I have been doing a bit of operating over the last couple of weeks and have actually been enjoying it. Of course this has also coincided with a total lack of output in the home brew department.
So for the last 12 months we have been trying to either buy or build a new house and move our lives and everything that this entails to a small town in the country. Its been a journey and a half to say the least. The first rejection was early in the pandemic and no banks were actually lending to anyone who was in business, and me being a small business owner meant that there was no way to proceed. So we just kept saving and waiting things out and then tried again 6 months later.
Move ahead 6 months, hit the banks up again and this time finance was pre approved. In that 6 months the cost of the house we planned to build had increased by $40,000, the pandemic increase because trades are in hot demand and all put their prices up. This was starting to push our finances to the limit, after some changes with the builder we got costs down to closer to what we wanted to spend. Then the bank gave our file to an independent valuer and the valuation came back low. not by an insignificant amount either, but by $50,000. Not a problem really, but it meant that our 80%LVI became 95% LVI and with the mortgage insurance and the extra deposit needed we had to find $15,000 and so that plan was officially dead and buried. That 6 month delay just priced us out of being able to build a new home and everything that we could have desired.
So yet another talk with our mortgage broker and working out what we could afford for an existing property. Then the hunt was on to find a property that did not suck to much or was to much of a compromise on things we just could not live without and fit in with our requirements for work and the like, its not like we are funding this out of retirement savings, we still need to work and pay this off before retirement age.
After much debate and discussion the wife and I decided on a few places and started looking online at properties. Found a couple we both kind of liked and booked a viewing with the agent. When we drove down the driveway of the first place, it just felt homely and welcoming. We put and offer in on it the same day and it was accepted by the owner.
Went though all the drama again waiting on the bank, valuations and all that, this time very favorable, actually our offer was exactly the same as the valuation. Paper work has all been signed and we settle on the 28th of May. So between now and moving in I will not be posting here at all, or if I do it will be infrequently because as of this weekend my whole radio room will be packed up and the antennas will be taken down.
Not long now and we move from a city of 2 million to a small town of 800 people. 2 and 1/4 acres of I cant see nor hear my neighbors, i can put up a real antenna and have more than enough space to plant a fruit forest and grown all my own vegetables. I really cannot wait.
Asta La Vista Baby, I will be back.