Well this one has been a long time coming. From the very first amp i built till now has been close on 5 years. Those first amps were rather scary contraptions dead bug on scrap pcb and had more than a few fets explode on me. And after the debacle that the 2×4 amp was, this time around i decided to cut it in half and make sure it is all working right and to have the mechanical aspects of the build right also, so if something does break and lets be honest something always breaks, that its easy to fix. I have not really started to push this yet, but atm with conservative biasing, drive and voltage i am getting a respectable 36 watts out. Its been key down for the last 15mins and other than the heatsink needing to be bigger to dissipate the heat its going well.
Here is the schematic.
Here is the PCB as laid out in my ecad of choice.
So rather than try and go the home made SMD route, i just went old school with the mechanical design. What i did was mount the fets loosely to the heat sink, then i snug them up, bent the legs with the pcb and then tightened them all down. It meant i could slide the PCB on and off the legs really easily until i was ready to solder them on permanently. If i fet dies, it should make replacing it a lot easier.
Setup for testing. I kind of just snuck up on it with voltage and drive. 13.8v and 200mw drive and I was getting about 7 watts out. Slowly and surely i brought the voltage up and the drive as well. In the end i was giving it 1 watt of drive at 24v and was getting 36w out. Its got way more to go, but its nice and stable.
A step in the chain, was about 25w here.
60v peak is 36 watts. Now i need to put some 200v caps in the low pass filter and make that look like a sine wave LOL
PDF of the schematic : irf510-2×2-amp
Gerber files for the pcb : REMOVED found an error when I ran 10A through it.